Last year, over 20,000 deaths in the United States were caused by radon gas, according to the Center for Disease Control.
Think this sounds like a lot?
That’s more than carbon monoxide, fires, and drunk driving.
Radon is a cancer-causing, radioactive gas that you can’t see, smell or taste. This makes it incredibly hidden and dangerous. It comes from the natural (radioactive) breakdown of uranium in soil, rock and water.
If you think this doesn’t apply to you, it does. radon problems have been detected in almost every county in the US. Almost 1 in 15 homes is estimated to be affected by radon levels. We and the EPA are urging you to test your homes for this harmful gas. Testing is the only way to detect radon, and it is inexpensive and easy. See How to Test Your Home.
Radon can enter your home in many ways, including:
– Cracks in solid floors
– Constructions joints
– Cracks in walls
– Gaps in suspended floors
– Gaps around service pipes
– Cavities inside walls
– The water supply
The risk of living with radon
The EPA reports that scientists are more certain about radon risks than those from most other cancer-causing substances.
Radioactive particles can get trapped in your lungs as you breathe. As they break down, these particles release small bursts of energy which can damage lung tissue and eventually can lead to lung cancer.
Individuals who smoke are between 7 and 8 times more likely to be affected by radon gas exposure.
VMG is committed to informing you of important information. We strongly encourage you to have your home tested for radon gas to prevent health hazards for yourself and others. The testing is easy, and the fix is not too costly.
You can learn more about radon gas and National Radon Action Month at www.radonmonth.org. Find out how to lower the radon levels in your home, what to do during home sales, what your test results mean, and more.