Valuation Management Group recently held staff training on cyber security. The risky emails of recent appear to be more legitimate therefore making additional training timely.
On average, over 50% of email received is spam based on Kaspersky statistics report Q1 2016. The United States is leading the way as the largest country/source of spam, producing over 12%!
Here are some ways to keep safe while using email and avoid phishing scams. Be careful about phishing (pronounced “Fishing”)! Phishing is an attempt to acquire sensitive information such as user names, passwords, credit card info, social security info, and sometimes money. Often phishing is done for malicious reasons by appearing to come from a trustworthy source. Listed below are a few things that will help protect you:
- Never click on any links or open attachments in an email if not 100% certain it’s legitimate.
- Slow down and read before you click.
- Never reply to spam!
- Never interact with email from someone at a business asking for information and/or asking you to reset a password; ignore the message and go directly to the company website login and see if any messages are there.
- Use spam filters to help control unwanted mail.
- Avoid phishing techniques which lure you to a website and then ask for personal information.
- If you accidently click on a bad link, stop what you are doing and start a scan immediately or shut down the machine and seek help from an IT professional.
- Be careful when sharing your email address on social media, forums, blogs, and websites. Hackers are trolling the internet and it’s a good way to end up on a spammer’s list.
- Don’t open unusual messages from friends, family, and or colleagues.
While there are several ways criminals will try and take advantage of us using spam, there are just as many ways we can protect ourselves. Be safe, use common sense, and be careful not to divulge personal, private, and or confidential information.
Valuation Management Group is a national, residential and commercial appraisal management services company that manages the appraisal process, including the appraisal review, for financial institutions, banks, mortgage bankers, and credit unions. VMG offers a full array of commercial and residential appraisal products and services. The company’s goal is to take the appraisal process from ordinary to extraordinary for its clients and appraisers.