The real estate market can be demanding for appraisers. As one of the top appraisal management companies working with skilled appraisers, Valuation Management Group would like to help you to get the most efficiency out of your day.
Below are some appraisal tools and ideas that might help you streamline your work day:
- Smartphones allow you to check email, receive/send text, send photos, and give updates on assignments while in the field. Smartphones can also give you easy access to cloud storage that can contain work files that may include tax assessor sheets, MLS sheets and any other order document. You can download apps to keep up with your mileage/expenses and photo editing.
- Use reputable appraisal software with multiple layers of tech support. A good appraisal software company will help you in writing your reports and support you when needed.
- Ask your software vendors about downloadable apps that offer integrations with your software and smart phone and/or ipads for sketching, form editing, organizing photos and notes. Some offer GPS that will provide step by step directions to where you are traveling.
- A laser measuring device will save time and give more accurate measurements than some of the older tools. If you are using an app, some Bluetooth devices can send the measurements directly into your device.
- HD Digital Cameras provide crisp clear photos in all lighting conditions. Keep in mind, higher resolution creates larger file sizes, so photo resolution on digital cameras can be edited prior to taking photos. Or, once you have taken photos, they can be edited using editing/optimization software.
- Good PDF software, not just for viewing, but for creation and editing of reports.
- A notebook computer helps you be mobile by taking your software and files with you if you do not have an app or a tablet. With hot spots and mobile tethering you can communicate as if in the office.
- When you are back in the office, dual wide screen monitors offers you a better overall view of the information you are working with.
- Security should always be top of mind, so keep complex passwords on your smartphones/tablets, software and notebook/desktop. You should ensure you have an active, real-time subscription for anti-virus/anti-malware protection. Lastly, a reputable, encrypted offsite backup of files is always a good practice.
We hope you find these ideas and tools helpful. The way you operate in the field can certainly save you time back at the office and improve efficiencies.
Valuation Management Group is a national, full service appraisal management service company that manages the appraisal process for financial institutions, banks, mortgage bankers, and credit unions. We offer the full array of commercial and residential appraisal products and services. We take the appraisal process from ordinary to extraordinary.